Wednesday 28 May 2014

Newer Developments.

HEYYYYY!

I start work in a new school here, because my project is almost over and I wanted more work so my project leader let me be a part of this amazing culture studies project where I (along with 2 other indian interns, Ruturaj and Abhay) teach students of a private school about the Indian culture. The school itself, is nothing like what i have previously worked at. This school defines, "fancy" . It is a sprawling complex, with gardens, a swimming pool, a store , and it even has its own radio (we got to go on their show too!) . The students speak much better level of English, and are smart. The school is very techno-savvy, the staff speaks, or at least understands English . And, the best part I get lunch in the school! Its all typical russian food that i have grown to love now, so I am glad. All these positives make it seem okay that i have to commute for almost 2 hours to go, and 2 hours to come back. (One hour, by the metro. And i change two lines! Plus I gotta walk.) 




First day of class, we handled all three age-groups. The kindergartners (6years -8 years) , the secondary school (9years-12years) and high school (13years - 16years). 





Here's a video of me teaching them how "namaste" is done in india. 



So.. with the tiny kids, our sessions were a lot more interactive! Lot more games, more hand actions, more videos, lots of clapping, hi-5ing them if they get the answer right etc. Its no child's play, let me assure you. And it was something similar with secondary students! But with them, it was a lot more information. Now, after two classes with these kids .. I can proudly tell that they know India's capital city, Indian national animal, bird, and flower , they know the Indian flag colors and what they stand for. They can count 1-10 in hindi, they also know a silly, but famous indian hand game. ( Idk, what its called! i used to play it when we were small. ) 

However,  
My favorite of the lot, were the high school kids. Yeah yeah, they talk a lot in russian with themselves, they interrupt me a lot, they try hitting on me, sure. But the trick is to know how to engage these kids properly,  and plus I relate to them because I'm 19 myself. Been there, done that. 

The high school students, were fun to converse with. They could speak english so much better and they  mostly understood what I was teaching them. 

The first question i asked them was, 'So, what do you know about India? What comes to your mind when i say INDIA? ' And ohhh, the answers i got! Thats whyyy, My next blog post is going to be all about stereotypes. Both ; Indian and russian.

So from now, our classes are divided and i will work with the kindergarteners and the high-school. I am giving secondary school a break. 
The best part is, when we walk into class and the whole class goes "namaste" and when we leave they say "alvida" . OHHH THAT FEELING :')
This looks like its going to be a helluva experience! And i just wish i was going to be in Russia for longer. But oh well! :( 
When do i leave, you ask? I leave on the coming tuesday! NOT EVEN A WEEK LEFT. Ehh! 


Also, this weekend we are visiting ethnomir. That is, something like global village or something. Idk!
I'll carry my laptop, maybe. Will update blog! I just realized, i have so much more to write! And i have not much time.

Also, also I LOST MY PHONE!!! Ugh. Its lying in the bottom of the moscow river. How? Well, i was leaning over the bridge and clicking the picture of the most gorgeous sky and next thing i know a skateboarder almost narrowly misses hitting me! And i was so startled, that i dropped my iphone. 
WHY, OH WHYYY! I mean, I was vigilant about my phone all the time. How do you foresee such an event? Its such a once-in-a-time kinda thing! :/ 

#TravelTip 8 : Keep your belongings super safe! And you can't really trust anyone else to do it for you. 
Make sure you know where your phone, wallet and passport is at all times. 


Anyways, don't feel too sorry for me folks! But KEEP GALAVANTING! :D 












No comments:

Post a Comment